Thursday, October 22, 2009

Peru Part 2

Dear Moll diary,

My last blog talked about every moll's most hated and defining role - waiting for surfers. I promised that during our road trip to the North of Peru ( ten days of full-time molling in desert landscapes, staying in isolated ghost towns with freezing winds/water. Extreme molling I think I'll call it. ) I would make it my mission to discover the best way to end the waiting game and maybe even reverse the tables, have Mr Bodyboard wait for me.

After an extensive search I have discovered that there is always going to be an element of waiting. Sorry fellow molls but I think it's just part of the job description. However, I did discover that there is a way to lose track of the seconds and minutes a little. Walking. Seriously, the beach can so often be a battle ground that we forget how nice it is to stroll along. That's right, I said stroll, I'm not saying we should do anything drastic like run up a hill or even walk fast! I'm just saying that by the time you've wandered along a couple of beaches, maybe followed a crab or two ( maybe had a conversation with a crab or two if you're in a town of 300 people who only speak Spanish. Except for you. ), when you return to where you left your surfer generally they are either finished, or will be soon.

And of course while you're walking you'll need some music to stimulate that incredible brain of yours, so I have put together a playlist of moll-specific songs. Of course my selection is limited by what's in my ipod, any suggestions of new material would be more than welcome (and of course if you think I have crappy taste feel free to cull).

  • Fisherman's Woman - Emiliana Torrini - Fisherman's Woman
    I don't know who the heck 'Anna Ingun's mum' is, but as 'the gladiator of all fisherman's wives' she is a moll at heart. In fact I would go so far as suggesting this song for a moll anthem. Although Icelandic fisherman may have a slightly different life to surfers, it seems that their partners know what it is to moll - 'and the only thing you can think of is me, waiting for you, by the window, just like Anna waits for her man, how will I learn, I'll wait'. So maybe surfers aren't always thinking of us while out at sea, but it's nice to dream....
  • Respect - Aretha Franklin - The Very Best of Aretha Franklin
    If you don't know this song you've probably been on a rock in Iceland with Anna, although I have my suspicions that even she could hum the chorus. If you don't know what this song could mean for molls then you're a fool. Or a surfer. Or both.
  • Cowgirl in the sand - Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    So I don't think that Neil had molls specifically in mind for this track, but I'm claiming it anyway. I love the image of a beach-side wild west where molls in leather boots with spurs patrol the sand dunes occasionally shooting surfers who gone done them wrong.
  • Gettin' in the Way - Jill Scott - Who is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds Vol. 1
    We may bitch and moan about our surfers, but ultimately they are ours to bitch and moan about. And when you see a wanna-be moll gazing adoringly at your surfer it's time to saddle up (like in the previous song) and prepare for a moll verbal shoot out. Or maybe you'll just insult the offender in your head. But they'll know mentally damn it!! Anywho.... this song will give you the ammo to knock 'em dead (in your mind). Lines like 'You'd better back down, before you get smacked down' and my personal favourite 'I'm gonna take you out in middle of the street and whoop your tan for all it's worth, $5.99 or something like that' are sure to put that hussy in her place. In your mind.
  • To Hot Ta Trott - The Commodores - Motown - The Complete Number 1's i
    Probably the best song ever to strut your stuff to. That's right, every moll is 'to hot ta stop' and don't you forget it. This song was definitely inspired by molls. Defiantly.
  • Plasticities - Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrpha
    So this song has absolutely nothing to do with molls or even the beach. In fact it's a little embarrassing, but I actually thought that the chorus was 'Whale fight' (in reality it's 'We'll fight'). But it's a great song to listen to while staring out to sea, imagining whales jumping out of the water and mucking around in a 'food fight' kind of spirit. Good times my friend, good whale filled times.
  • The Signal - Urthboy - The Signal
    I actually had a tough time getting some Australian content into this list which I think is definitely a national issue. We are a country of thousands of molls, what the heck is going on? There should be endless choices of songs. And while I am sure that molls were not the inspiration for this track, we do send out 'the signal' to 'please come home' so really it's very relevant. This track is best played at the end of the walk as you trek towards your towels and hope against hope that you are going to see a surfers smile heading towards you.

So that's it for now, but again if you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them, and you will hear from me next month from our new location in Puerto Escondito, Mexico.

Happy molling

1 comment:

  1. Of course you will be too young to remember the iconic Australian classic singer to Surfer Molls - Little Pattie. Her GREATEST hit was directly aimed at Grade 1 - oops I think that's grade 5 - 7 molls - "He's My Blonde Headed Stompie Wompie Real Gone Surfer Boy". then there is the classic tip on what to do while waiting for your surfer boy "Stompin' at Maroubra" - walking is almost like stompin' i guess.
    Love AH

    ReplyDelete